Indeed, a VScrollBar has really a lot of flexibility! I succeeded in
subscribing to it's events and using the event.preventDefault()
method cancel it's other listeners and it's actions.

Using the configureScrollBars() method, the scrollbar sizing can
easily be configured:

override protected function configureScrollBars():void
{
    setScrollBarProperties(something, something, totalRowCount,
rowCount);
}

Where "totalRowCount" is your total number of records in the table
(let's say 1000000) and "rowCount" is existing DataGrid's property
which returns the number of currently VISIBLE rows in the grid. This
value updates every time the grid is resized, so that's the answer
to your question of counting rows.

(rowCount/totalRowCount makes the size of a thumb compared to a
height of a scrollbar)

I've taken a look at your grid - you are basically extending a
Canvas and laying out a DataGrid and "indipendant" VScrollBar on
that canvas.
My goal is to extend a DataGrid and use only its features.. and till
now it goes well. I prevented default sorting by header click and
refreshing data on scrollbar events. So now I've got something like
a "DeadGrid" :-) In which clicking headers and moving a scroller
does nothing except raising events which trigger server-side
procedures that fetch a fresh data based on a ScrollEvent.position
and grid.sort. On dataProvider REFRESH event, fresh data is loaded
into the grid..