a couple of options:

1)  change your login control to a popup titlewindow instead and use
popupmanager to center it to the viewstack
2)  put your login control in a <mx:Box> control that takes up the
full size of the viewstack and has verticalAlign set to middle and
horizontalAlign set to center.

Shaun

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "cardinalflexjeremy"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a viewstack, that contains two sub components. One (the
first)
> is simply a small login panel. (its actually just a canvas with text
> fields and a header etc inside it). The second is what is shown once
> the user is logged in; its also a large canvas, with a function app
> inside that component.
>
> So my code looks like this:
>
> <mx:ViewStack width="800" height="600" maxHeight="600"
maxWidth="800"