Thanks for the feedback Pete -- actually it turned out to be a line in
the DAO object that was doing the rounding.  I figured when I couldn't
find anything on the web that it must be my typical dumb error and not
something common.

However the part I mention in my first response is still valid, where
"Number(textInput.text)" is different from "txtInput.text as Number".
 The "as Number" cast does round off the value to the nearest integer.