Hi Mark,

Seeing that you want to use ASP.NET, WebORB would be the way to go. It is pricey and Midnightcoders would make a killing if they would reduce the pricing for it as more firms would jump on the boat.

I've been working with WebORB and must say that the tools that come with it beat everything else out there in terms of rapid application development. You get a fully implemented code generation module with it, which is irreplaceable.

All that you really need to concentrate on is writing your class libraries in .NET and create the services and DTO objects on the Flex side and you're done. Can't get easier than that.

Jurgen

Mark Ingram wrote:

Hi Barrie, thanks for the response.

In terms of collaboration, anything will do. I tried a great example using Flash Media Server 2, which was a chat client. Each client was informed when a new client joined or typed a message. That's exactly what I was looking for, as we created one the other week that was based around polling. It worked, but it wasn't elegant.

The price tag on FMS seems steep too (not compared to FDS!). $4000 for 150 concurrent users? Or more users if you throttle their bandwidth.

The ideal solution for me would allow data-push and be able to communicate with ASP.NET. I have looked at WebOrb, but again, $10,000 per CPU is a little high.

So here are the options as I see it:

Flex Data Services (LiveCycle Data Services): $20,000 per CPU

Midnight Coders Data Services: $10,000 per CPU

Flash Media Server: $4,000 per 150 users (unthrottled)

Polling WebServices: Free (plenty of development required though)

Another down side of FMS is that you can't develop in Flex Builder? And from what I've seen it doesn't use ActionScript 3?

I feel awfully confused about all these similar products! Based on my requirements, what would be the best option (see above)?

Thanks,