Hi Aaron,

You don't need EJB or J2EE to start with FDS.  In fact, I would
recommend trying familiarize yourself with plain FDS before attempting
to integrate with enterprise java.

What you do need is a servlet container.  Typically tomcat.  FDS comes
with a lite version of another servlet container called jrun.  you could
start with that.

you could also try out christophe coenraets "Tomcat Test Drive Server";
it has all the stuff you need to get started:

http://coenraets.org/blog/2007/01/flex-test-drive-server-for-java-developers-tomcat-based/

his tutorials are really worthwhile too.

Get started with a very simple RemoteObject application talking with a
Flex front end.   If you have no java experience, start off without FDS
and just get the feel for how to develop, package, and deploy simple
java apps.

I second simonjpalmer's suggestion to use Eclipse: It's free, it's easy,
it can run the Flex Builder as a Plug-in, and it supports lots of tools
that make your java life easier: ant, refactoring, etc.

best of luck.

/r
http://www.searchcoders.com/
http://www.laflex.org/