I'm really confused as to how to make a vibrant, animated interface.

I've been told by the list that you can have addChild within a transition - seems not to be true, but you've got addChildAction and removeChildActions; trouble is, I can't figure out how they work.

The examples I've seen on the web only have a non-target, ie

<mx:Transition id="Splash" fromState="*" toState="*">
<mx:Sequence targets="{[SplashScr,Enter]}">
<mx:AddChildAction/>
<mx:Fade duration="10" targets="{[Main]}"
alphaFrom="0.3" alphaTo="0.3"/>

But what does this mean? Does it mean that each of the sequence targets are instructed to do ANY addChild actions at that time?

If say I have a state with box1, box2, and box3; and I want to animate n box1 and box2, and, upon finishing, add box3, how would one do that? This doesn't seem to work:

<mx:transitions>
                <mx:Transition fromState="*" toState="ball">
                        <mx:Parallel targets="{[box1, box2, box3]}">
                                <mx:WipeDown target="{box1}" />
                                <mx:WipeUp target="{box2}" />
                                <mx:AddChildAction target="{boxy}"
startDelay="900" />
<mx:Fade target="{box3}" startDelay="1000" alphaFrom="0" alphaTo="1"/>
                                <!--
                                <mx:AddChildAction target="box2" startDelay="500"
/>
                                <mx:AddChildAction target="box3" startDelay="1000"
/>
                                -->

                        </mx:Parallel>
                </mx:Transition>

Can someone please show me how exactly this addChildAction works - I thought you could target specific addChild targets?