Hi Mark,

Using the Flex Component Kit and Flash CS3 you can do what you're
looking for. I just wrote a tutorial about using the FCK to create a
"stateful" skin with transitions. You can read it here :
http://tinyurl.com/yoxqcq .

The tutorial describes how to make a basic transition, but you could
easily elaborate on it to do what you're looking for.

Hope that helps.

Juan

scalenine.com : degrafa.com