Is there COMPLETE SIMPLE  example of using html and actionscript to
format text anywhere ?
I want to make an mxml tag, and then I want to change the font size with
action script. I have spent 2 days trying to figure this out. Why is it
so hard ?

All the examples I have found go on for hundreds of lines with all sorts
of extra added complications that have nothing to do with simply
changing the font size.
I have numerous books, including the action script 3.0 cookbook and the
examples are completely worthless because they say
stuff like
field.html=true
without giving any clues as to what "field" is. In other words, the
examples are not complete. I have tried various controls and all I get
is errors.
Seriously, why doesn't Adobe hire someone to write COMPLETE SIMPLE
examples ?