dataTipField/dataTipFunction is used to map the dataProvider to a string
to be displayed by a renderer.  The renderer can just call
itemToDataTip(data) on the column.  The resulting string is the
dataTip/tooltip.

If I plug such a renderer into a DG with data that looks like {
firstname: "alex", lastname: "harui" } I can set the dataTipField to
"lastname", but If I've got some complex XML like

<person>

            <name>

                        <firstName>Alex</firstName>

                        <lastName>Harui</lastName>

            </name>

            <address>

                        <city>SF</city>

                        <state>CA</state>

            </address>

</person>

I can cook up a dataTipFunction like

data..lastName + ", " + data..firstName + " " +  data..city

I think that's what you want, or I don't understand what you're looking
for.

-Alex