It may be easier than that. You dont so much want to use HTTPservice,
you just want to get an image.

Define your image with an addressable ID, so we can code to it.

<mx:Image id="someImage" source="http://somesite.com/someimage.jpg";
autoload="true">

Anytime you want to populate that someImage object, just tell Flex
where it's Source is, which can be local to the directory the .swf is
in or a full URL.

private function getImage():void {
   someImage.source = "http://somesite.com/otherimage.jpg";
}