try capturing whether a drag can occur based on a mouseOver maybe.  eg,
onMouserOver set canDrag = true if NOT over the footer.  Then in your drag
handler check this to see if drag is allowed or not.  This technique I use
usually to make sure the user clicks on the actual object to be dragged, but
not outside the object.

DK

--
Douglas Knudsen