Thanx to all who suggested help. The answer was that using @Embed doesn't cause
a 'complete' event to fire.  I tried all combinations of attaching a listener
for the complete event inside of creationComplete, preinitialize, etc, and
complete never fired.  What works is to load without embedding:

    <mx:SWFLoader id='thisSWF' width="1200" height="400"
                  source='deleteme.swf'
                  complete="onComplete();" />

The reason I want to know when the SWF is completely loaded is so that I can
then open a localConnection to send data to the swf at startup.  I'm curious
what event could be used for this purpose if the swf had to be embedded.

P.