On Tuesday 17 Jun 2008, Matt Chotin wrote:
> Hey folks, let's calm down a little here, K?

Aye.

> 1) Let's get an FAQ going that can be edited by moderators or members of
> the community.

This would be a huge bonus, esp. given #3.

> Center.  But for now how about we just allocate a page off of the
> opensource wiki.  We can pick some moderators who can edit the page and I
> will get them added so they can take care of it.

Happy to be added, drop me a note if you are not aware of my adobe.com ID
(it's not @halliwells).

> 2) Some folks suggested that you either mark in the body or in the subject
> something that indicates what you're talking about.  Seems reasonable.
> involved in the thread.  The more people follow this convention, the more
> efficient it will become.

I would say that trying to tag the subject line is probably a good idea to try
and encourage - new users should pick it up if they stay, and it'll help
the 'old hands' too.
I wouldn't suggest rejecting posts that lack a tag or anything though, before
anyone suggests that, and I'd not want the FAQ to try and define a definitive
list either - just see what people use.

> 3) We can get aggressive on the moderation.  Rather than just scanning for
> spam, moderators can actually look at the posts by new users and decide if
> they meet the general criteria for asking a question.  If they don't, the
> moderator can reject the post and point the user to the forum FAQ which has
> posting guidelines.

If the group agrees that we want to try and reduce first-post on-topic but
pointless messages, *and the FAQ is updated* I'd have no qualms about
pressing that big 'reject' button and sending the user a nice link.
Maybe the group/Adobe could agree a boilerplate response.

> 4) We can update the flexcoders FAQ (which is actually linked at the bottom
> of every single post) to include the updated posting guidelines and remove
> the common questions section so that the forum FAQ is only about forum
> etiquette and the coding FAQ is about the actual problems.

This is good separation.
CookBook if it merits an article to itself, FAQ on xxxx.adobe.com if it's a
few lines of code or non-code, and FAQ on Yahoo for using the group itself.

> If we're all on board, send those moderators to me and we can get things
> set up. And folks can start following the tagging convention instantly in
> the meantime.

Again, assuming the group is OK with harsher(?) moderation, I'm happy to start
doing it as soon as the editable FAQ is up.
In the past I've occasionally made a post on my blog in answer to a question,
and then pointed the thread there, and I've certainly seen others doing the
same thing - if the group was really keen to do better(?) first-post
moderation and didn't want to wait for the FAQ changes.

--
Tom Chiverton, moderator

This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.

Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and
Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is at
Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB.  A list
of members is available for inspection at the registered office. Any reference
to a partner in relation to Halliwells LLP means a member of Halliwells LLP.
Regulated by The Solicitors Regulation Authority.

CONFIDENTIALITY

This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may be
confidential or legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee you must not
read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor inform
any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence or
contents.  If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify
Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.

For more information about Halliwells LLP visit www.halliwells.com.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: