I found this page to be helpful but not authoritative (This is where I
found the use of binding the setter);
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=databinding_8.ht\
ml
<http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/3/html/help.html?content=databinding_8.h\
tml>

// Binding #1
[Bindable]
public function set shortNames(val:Boolean):void {
public function get shortNames():Boolean {

I did glean a trick for read-only binding for static data by using:
public static const constString:String="A static const.";

However, I still need to clear up one thing. Is it true that you can
place [Bindable] meta data on either a setter of getter and have it
bound to a View component?