On Jul 9, 2008, at 7:18 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

So my questions are:

In a nutshell, what's the difference between Flash or Flex or ActionScript? (After much googling I still can't find a definitive answer.)
ActionScript is an ECMA standard Programming language. Until about 3 years ago it was a "hackish" language similar to Javascript, referred to as Actionscript 2. Adobe took it over, and rewrote the VM. It now is adn Object Orientated - event driven language, closer in behaviour and structure to Java, it is reffered to as Actionscript 3
.
Actionscript is the prgramming language that the technology Flash is build on. There is a program that is often referred to as "Flash" whose current version is "Flash CS3" (yes it is confusiing). The word "Flash" in general usage, can refer to a technology and an IDE.

"Flex" is a framework of prebuilt Flash (the technology) components. When using Flex, you use a language called MXML (which in turn refers to components built with Actionscript), which is just an XML language, whose tags refer to Actionscript(Flash the technology) components.

Flash (the IDE whose current version is CS3) is more suited for designers who draw and arrange animations. There is an option to write classes and code an application, but it haslimited supporting features like code hinting, variable searching etc.....

Flex (the framework) is most suited to make RIAs, not websites. Generally, people use Flex Builder (an IDE) or download the Flex SDK and use it as a plug-in for Eclipse.

If more than one of the above, what do I use each for?
Which Adobe Software would I need to buy for this?

You don't need to buy anything. Websites and RIAs can be built with SDKs that can be downloaded from Adobe http://opensource.adobe.com/wiki/display/site/Home

You can download a free full working version and it will last 60 days.

You can buy Flex Builder for 300 dollars, and you don't have to go through any possible integration problems with using it with Eclipse. If you are new to Flash (the technology) and need to build an RIA, Flex Builder is the way to go.

To build a Flash website that does not use the Flex Framework ( i.e with no prebuilt components) You download the SDK from adobe and can use a simple text editor to write your code, then you need to use a compiler (which can be dl for free) to compile the program.
Are there free or open-source versions of software that would give me what I need? (I'm not making that much on the project so I'd hate to have to drop drop US$1000+ for an Adobe product .)
Are there any books you'd highly recommend for what I need?

For beginners, Learning Actionscript http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596527877/

IF you understand programming pretty well already

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596526948/?CMP=AFC-ak_book&ATT=Essential+ActionScript+3.0

For beginning Flex

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590599500