When you say "build a Flash website" are you talking about one where there is a single HTML file and a single SWF file, or something else? Just curious.
Here is an example. Right now one of the projects my company is working on is the website for the new Bond Movie. Me and another developer are working on it. It is inciudes a typical movie showcase (pictures, movie clips, trialers, story background) as well as a multiplayer game. The tools being used for this are an AMFPHP websever, Photoshop, Flash CS3, and TextMate. The designers are making graphics in Photoshop, and animations in Flash CS3. The developers are using Textmate to write the code.

Two weeks ago, I split off and started to build an RIA app with Flex Builder. Because the Bond site is going to be deployed in many different languages at the same time, it was decided to go ahead and build an application that would allow us and translators all over the world to translate any of our projects into any language.

This could have been done without using Flex, but it will be much faster and easier to do.

>> If you are new to Flash (the technology) and need to build an RIA, Flex Builder is the way to go. Since emailing you I came across FlashDevelop (http://www.flashmagazine.com/reviews/detail/flashdevelop_20/ ). Do you or anyone else have opinions on it as an alternative to FlexBuilder?

I've never used it, but have heard good things. Textmate is very popular, but it is mac only.
Lastly, can I confirm that to build a simple video player SWF that can retrieve it's .FLV video file name from a REST-based (HTTP GET) web service I would be able to use Flex? I'm 90% sure the answer is yes, but I'm just checking.

Yes.