Hi Tim,

Thanks so much, your tips did the trick. I'm going to go the whole
event dispatching route, but it's good to know how to access the
parentDocument elements.

And ditto on the removeChild bit - i had to laugh at myself when I
read your response - it's how we learn :)

thanks again,

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Hoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Barry,
>
> Sorry to laugh a little, but parent.removeChild(this), is actually
> removing the itemRenderer display object; and leaving a hole in the
> TileList.  There are a few ways to remove list items; from within an
> itemRenderer.  But, most of them involve referencing the list's
> dataProvider directly; using something like:
>
> myArrayCollection.removeItemAt(myTileList.selectedIndex);
>
> Now, how do you get to the dataProvider from within the itemRenderer.
> Probably the best way is to dispatch an event when the delete button is
> clicked.   Using events takes advantage of  loose coupling.   Listen for
> the event in the class that contains the TileList and remove the item
> from the dataProvider.  Depending on how you have it setup, chances are
> that when you click the button inside the itemRenderer, the TileList's
> selected item and index will change automatically.
>
> Another way, if you want to get dirty, is to do something like this on
> the click event of the delete button:

this.parentDocument.myTileList.dataProvider.removeItemAt(listData.rowInd\