another way to reduce fan noise is to reduce the speed of the fan.
one of my recent projects is a fan controller with speed proportional
to temperature, with the temp sensor wherever you like.  see:

http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/small_proj.htm

I've recently had some PC boards made for this and some of my other
small projects, like a Handheld Network Analyzer (and the SDR-1000
makes a great synthesized signal generator to drive it).  some of you
who enjoy the smell of solder and rosin might be interested in some
of these little projects, and I try to make the boards available at low cost.

73
paul