I am going to experiment with a temp controlled fan controller along with opening the fan intake to reduce back pressure.

Paul, W1GHZ has a nice little fan controller project that I am going to incorporate into the mod.  It is well thought out and documented. It has a remote temp sensor that can be mounted on the heat sink and a high temp indicator LED (150 F) that I am going to put on the front panel (I really like this feature).  At ambient temperatures, it does slow the fan down and raises the speed (no on/off switching) as the temperature increases.

You can check out his projects here:

http://www.w1ghz.org/small_proj/small_proj.htm

-Tim

---