Smalltalk? Now, what we need is an SDR project in Lisp.

Or maybe I should start my own SDR experiment in Haskell? (No, I'm not
going to do it!)

Gerald started all this in Visual Basic. Then it became C# with some
plain old C for the DSP. There was a Python project going, but
apparently Bob gave that up and moved into Smalltalk/Squeak. The point
I'm trying to make here is that this kind of constant "evolution" can
be a little overwhelming (or downright scary) to someone with not much
programming experience.

Please guys, don't get me wrong. I think it's simply fascinating how
the SDR-1000 inspires people to come up with all these innovative
concepts, be it hardware or software (or something in between like
FPGA's). And I understand this latest experimental project is not
intended as a replacement for the current C# console.

But still, I'm fairly certain most people involved in this little SDR
project don't have PhD's in computer science. Neither do I, although I
am (at least superficially) familiar with countless programming
languages. I simply want to warn against constantly changing the
programming tools. For most people, learning Yet Another Programming
Language takes a lot of time. For professional programmers, it may be
a worthy investment. For non-professionals, I'm not so sure. Always
remember this: You can write a bad program in any language.

Having said all of the above, I must confess the Squeak environment
looks interesting, and I sincerely hope something useful comes out of
this. I remember Smalltalk from the 1980's, but never used it for
anything real.

"Small talk, a skill at which Finns are notoriously lacking, is
considered suspect by definition, and is not especially valued."
(http://virtual.finland.fi/ - Guide to Finnish customs and manners)

73, Sami OH2BFO


On 12/28/05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
> If you feel things are getting a little heavy in the real SDR world the KISS
> principal radio is starting to do things. It must be; because I stopped
> writing code and started to tune around, a sure sign that something is
> working. Take a peek at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g3ukb/ .
> I promise you there is just one picture and not very many words.
>

Reply via email to