Hi Phil,

The following is a direct quote from an email sent to me by Ed Hare, W1RFI,
on December 5, 2002 regarding my questions on Part 15 rules as applied to
amateur radio equipment.  Ed is the ARRL's laboratory manager and heads up
much of their work on BPL.  He also confirmed this at the time with Chris
Imlay, chief FCC counsel for the ARRL.

Ed stated in his email, "Part 97 equipment does not have to be FCC
Certificated, with the exception of HF amplifiers. Much of the VHF equipment
that we see with FCC ID numbers is also a scanning receiver, so needs to be
Certificated on that basis.  If this is a Part 97 transmitter, and do note
that a number of them do indeed transmit somewhat outside the ham bands, no
Certification would be necessary."

73,
Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR