Carl,

I too have followed this reflector for a long while and also went the route
of building a Softrock40 before finally obtaining an SDR-1000 just a few
weeks ago.  I feel sure you won't be disappointed when you get yours - it's
everything and more that you've read about here.  I have some additional
comments below...

Pete, N3EVL

SDR-1000, 100w, ATU, Delta-44, Softrock40, Dell 2.8GHz P4

<Snip>

> Lately, it has become harder to follow along on this journey,
> due to the splitting up of the places where all of the "action"
> takes place (which used to be on the Forum, and then on this
> list), but now is spread all over the place!  Now we have to
> download more software to get the latest Alpha or Beta
> software versions of PowerSDR, go to another site to get the
> download and hunt for long strings of what looks like a UNIX
> command string (SVN) and then if we do finally get it
> downloaded into our PC and running, go to another "Bug"
> site somewhere else to report our findings!

        Well, we have the Flex web site which I still visit occasionally to
see if anything's changed.  I haven't looked at the Flex web based forum
much lately: my impression is it's mostly dormant - maybe I'm wrong.  I also
ocasionally visit the yahoo site to see what's being discussed there.  It
still seems like the bulk of the action, at least that which I find most
relevant and interesting is still centered around this reflector and, I
don't suspect that will change any time soon.

        Others have pointed out excellent reasons for migrating to a well
managed repository for the codebase.  This is absolutley standard practice
and good software engineering from which we will all ultimately benefit.
The tools for dealing with this are simple to use (a joy to use compared to
what we had when I was a lad!) and as has been pointed out, support access
to the entire codebase or just the compiled and built binaries.  Setting up
SVN is a one time operation: dealing with weird looking SVN URLs is not a
daily occurence.

        IMHO, the bug tracking capability is also an absolute necessity;
there is no way that Flex and the growing team of developers can reasonably
expect to track, categorize, prioritize, eliminate duplicates, and
ultimately fix bugs without the benefit of such a tool.  To anyone reporting
a bug, it is in their interest to have a formalized reporting mechanism -
nothing gets lost or forgotten and progress on your bug can be tracked; the
resolution is documented.  In practice, I expect we'll still use this
reflector to raise issues or report on observations on items that will more
than likely be later classified as bugs and entered into the bug tracking
system; I still see this reflector (and the related open discussions)
playing a major role.

> Probably very few people are going to go through this
> process, which is probably what is desired to prevent
> prospective Customers from seeing the "warts" and all, but I
> feel this is what most hams want to see, and feel a part of,
> is being able to give their input to the design of the most
> advanced Amateur radio, that is changing the way all radios
> will be designed in the future.

        I am hopefull that _many_ people will go through this process (which
quite franly is not as onerous as you imply) and that we'll still see plenty
of warts right here on the reflector - which is as it should be!

> It was so nice, in this fast moving world, to be able to go
> to one site, this one, and be able to keep up with the latest
> advances in the SDR-1000, and to be able to feel you're a
> part of history, and "rub elbows" with some of the best
> software, hardware and other designers around!  Everyone
> contributes their own little piece of expertise, however tiny.

        Remember all the previews that came along as part of 1.4.5?  My bet
is that if the changes we're discussing here had been in place sooner, there
would have been fewer of them and the quality of each would have been
higher.  This is where we're headed.  Combine that with the ability to grab
the very latest alpha code as fast as it is generated and we have a much
superior system.

> It's hard enough to keep up with what's going on in the
> field, when you have many sites to try to follow and keep track of.
> I feel we're losing something.......

        On the contrary, I feel we're gaining much by applying standard
software engineering practices to software defined radio development while
retaining the benefits of open disccussion as can occur right here.