I think there needs to be greater AC flexablity specifically the ability
to automatically switch between mic input and vac input...

In the case of  and SSB contest, some transmissions originate from the
MIC and others from a DigitalVoiceKeyer ( which could be part of a
logging program).

In the case of SSTV and digital SSTV, it is not unusual to send and
picture and then talk about what was just sent, etc. .

It would seems to me that it could be arranged to have a PTT that
originates from the mic (and indicating the desire to transmit mic audio
) should force a temporary override of the VAC input.

Another consideration,  in the DVK case you may wish to use the mic
audio profile for the VAC input, but in the SSTV case you would want the
digital profile for the VAC input.   In all cases you should get the
current mic profile for the mic input.

There may be additional VAC flexablity arguments for CW and CW contest
logging programs.

AL, K0VM