OK folks.  You need to try this simple configuration change before doing
anything radical.

I have updated the VAC install article on the KB to reflect what I am
going to summarize here.
http://kb.flex-radio.com/article.aspx?id=10218

I have found through extensive testing that there is a preferred method
for configuring VAC 4.07.  This is not a perfect solution and the VAC
audio channel in PowerSDR still needs some work to minimize the ~200 ms
of delay through the channel.  These optimizations will come in due
time.

In previous VAC set ups, it was recommended that the VAC sampling rate
in PowerSDR and the sound card be exactly the same.  I have found that
this is not the case.  I have been testing with VAC 4.07, MixW 2.18  and
the FLEX-5000 extensively over the past few weeks and this configuration
should be applicable to the SDR-1000 too. (I would have tested it, but
my SDR1K is in RX only mode).

What I have done is create two VAC channels to be cable format limited
and the Sampling Rate (SR) range to be between 11025 and 96000 Hz.

In PowerSDR setup on the VAC audio setup, I set the sampling rate to
48000 Hz.  MixW is configured for 12000 Hz.  The audio channel "down
converted" to the appropriate sampling rate and bit depth for the
soundcard.

Now, when do this, you must start PowerSDR in DigiX mode with VAC
enabled BEFORE starting the soundcard program because PowerSDR
predefines the VAC channels when it is enabled.  You can see this from
the VAC Control Panel.

I have not tried this with other programs, so you mileage may vary.

-Tim