On 8/18/07, Jerry Flanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Those with sufficient desk space may want to consider one hardware
> alternative to the "problems" being discussed re VCOM:
>
> For digital modes, I am now using two separate computers: One
> dedicated to running the SDR-1000 (only) and a second running the
> digital program. Only two audio cables and a null modem adapter was
> needed to set this up. I have full CAT control, etc. It was far
> easier than configuring VAC and VCOM.
>
> I have found this an ideal solution to the problems of program focus
> and VAC hiccups that I had  when I first setup PowerSDR in the "popular" mode.
>
> I was able to get a relatively powerful computer for the SDR-1000 - a
> 2.8GHz dual core P4 by emachines for only $300 AR (typically 10% CPU
> utilization with PowerSDRV1.10 and J/O @ 96). The null modem adapter
> was a few bucks at Radio Shack and worked perfectly.
>
> Flex-5000C buyers will pay an extra $2000 for this same ease of
> configuration. You can have it now, and cheaper.
>
> Jerry W4UK

Good idea.  This can also be done in the same computer if you have
some extra PCI slots or PCIe slots.  An extra serial port card is
cheap ($12) as well as an extra cheapy sound card (or your on-board
sound card).  The serial ports need to be hooked together with a null
modem cable like Jerry did above.  The second cheapy sound card is
used as the i/o to the third party app instead of VAC.

Phil N8VB