Thanks Dale, Bob and Lee for your thoughts. I will be looking forward to
separate DSP for transmit and receive.

Dale, as I said in my original post, I use 2.4K filter but have tried many
other filter widths. Yes, I have tried shifting the filter up/down with no
discernible difference.

Lee, I have used a very good set of "cans" (earphones) and have use Logitech
speakers also. The receive DSP buffer of 256 works better on both. You are
right that the human brain is a very good filter in digging out signals in the
noise. The signals that I am trying to copy is mostly in the noise except for
Meteor Scatter bursts.

I believe that the DSP receive filter with a buffer setting of 256, with less
steep shirts, has little to do with the enhancement/advantage of this filter.
The less latency of this buffer size has no advantage to this operation.

If you look at a CW signal on the Panadapter with the DSP buffer setting of 256
and compare the peak of the wave form with a DSP buffer setting of 4096, you
with see that the peak is rounded off in 4096 but has a sharp tip in 256. (Set
your Panadapter to 4X) You will also hear the CW signal more discernible in
256. (Assuming that there are not signals close to the frequency)

The receive SSB audio in 256 DSP has a much sharper, crisper sound in 256! I
realize that in a crowded band you do not want this kind of shape factor. Also,
you do not want to transmit SSB using this DSP, thus the need for separate
transmit and receive DSP settings. I am standing by for that....what a great
radio and concept this is. Thanks to all those who contribute to the software!

Dave, W9DR