Dave, in a left-handed way I just confirmed your observations. With the
DSP buffer set to 2048, filters are very sharp and straight, 25 Hz
setting only hears a small slice of one signal. With the DSP buffer set
to 256, filter no longer has any real effect. I then hear artifacts (on
CW) over 750 Hz away, despite the 25 Hz filter selection. I also did
hear the difference in ability to copy weak signal better with the 256
setting as well.

Side note (no pun intended): at all settings on my SDR-1000, CW
reception with narrow filters is far better with the NR turned off.

73, Carl WC0V