OK, it's Friday, I have been doing computer work all week.  Maybe I need a
break, because I am out of patience.  I realized something tonight: SDR
1.18.1 is a VERY stable product.  You guys and gals over at Flex are amazing
people.  You must have infinite patience.  I see now that your time is not
spent on Flex Radio, it is spent troubleshooting Windows garbage and PC
issues.

I wish I could get XP to load on this laptop, but that's another story since
XP does not recognize the disk.moving along..

In my case, I know it's probably me, but I am having a helluva time with
VAC.  It causes SDR 1.18.1 to crash 50% of the time, if not at first then
after 5 minutes.  After crashing, I have to reboot F3K AND unplug/replug in
the Firewire connection to get SDR running again with F3K.  After reboot,
the VAC settings in SDR are not where I had them last.

<SAGA THIS EVENING>

I had WSJT working last night, now it's not.  No audio coming through since
I got CW skimmer working.  MixW 2.18 was working last night, now it's not.
No audio coming through since I got CW skimmer working.    OK, recheck
everything: CW Skimmer, set VAC to Windows-WDM-KS, Direct I/Q to VAC.  MixW
and WSJT, set VAC to MME, NO direct I/Q to VAC.  RATS!  SDR 1.18.1 crash.
Restart.  Cannot see F3K.  Unplug firewire, restart F3K, plug firewire back
in.  Still not working.  Reboot and try again.

OK, SDR 1.18.1 working again.  Let's check VAC.  Wait, wrong setting in SDR
for VAC for working with MixW, needs to be MME, how did it get to
Windows-WDM-KS?  Why is Direct I/Q to VAC checked?  Those are CW skimmer
settings.  Must have been the last SDR crash.  OK, let's start MixW.  OK,
running.  Hey cool..wait, why did the SDR panadapter just freeze?  RATS! SDR
1.18.1 crash.  Restart.  Cannot see F3K.  Unplug firewire, restart F3K, plug
firewire back in.  Cool, it's working.  No need for reboot.

Let's launch MixW again.  Nothing showing on the screen.  Check MixW sound
card settings, everything correct (Line 2 INPUT, Line 1 OUTPUT).  Wait, VAC
is disabled.  Why is that?  Click on VAC.  RATS! SDR 1.18.1 crash.  Restart.
Cannot see F3K.  Unplug firewire, restart F3K, plug firewire back in.  Still
not working.  Reboot and try again.

OK, SDR 1.18.1 working again.  SDR options.  MME, ok.  Line 1 should be
input.wait why is my microphone input?  Change to Line 1.  Line 2 output,
check.  Check MixW, everything check.  OK, let's click on that VAC button.
YIPPEE no crash!  But nothing showing on MixW?  Oh, we're in USB.  I have
the "DIGI recognized as USB" check in SDR, but MixW still sends USB command
when going to PSK.  OK, click on DIGI-U.  OK!  Now I see audio coming out on
MixW!  Finally.  That was challenging.  But I got it and.what?  Panadapter
screen froze?  Not even 30 seconds!  RATS! SDR 1.18.1 crash.  Restart.
Cannot see F3K.  Unplug firewire, restart F3K, plug firewire back in.  Still
not working.  Reboot and try again.

<END SAGA>

Holy crap, I have more sticky note reminders on my wall for shortcuts, I
cannot even see the wall anymore.

OK ladies and gentlemen, I KNOW I am part of the problem here.  This is NOT
an SDR issue.  But I don't know what/why I am doing wrong.  I am making this
harder than it has to be.  Or.there is a very simply solution.

Something just occurred to me - I am using a KVM switch, and constantly
going back and forth between the two PC's.the one with SDR and the other
with all the logging and other programs (not connected to the rig in ay
way).  Could the KVM switch (which switches over the keyboard and the mouse)
be part of the problem?  IRQ 18 is the firewire, that is the only one on 18
(I triple checked).

Mark Lunday

WD4ELG

 <mailto:wd4...@arrl.net> wd4...@arrl.net