Hi...

> area. It looks like OpenGC will need a nav database comparable with FG's
> (airports, navaids, don't want to keep shipping that stuff across the
> interface)

This is actually the main impediment to designing an ND gauge. Offhand, I
had been thinking about using Robin Peel's (if I'm remembering the name
right) nav database, from which both X-Plane and Flightgear (again, if I'm
remembering right) derive their nav data. This is sort of an open problem
though, so if anyone has good ideas nows the time to speak up.

So, the challenges here are:

1. Design a nav database structure
2. Figure out how to load NxN chunks of data (miles? degrees?)
3. Figure out how to map from lat/lon to screen coordinates. I assume that
since ND displays show a comparitively small chunk of the world, that it's
ok to just use a rectilinear projection and not jump through too many
mathematical hoops. Any of the flightgear guys have any thoughts about this?
Is there any code that would provide a good starting point in flightgear or
a related project?

After that, there's not much left to the ND. A compass arc, ILS mode, and so
forth, but these are pretty straightforward and I'll be able to recycle the
compass code from the PFD. I also expect that the EICAS will be pretty
straightforward, at least a basic implementation.

-Damion-