Dave Luff wrote:
> Jon S Berndt writes:
>
> > Buildings. I can't see how any sane person could say "Planes" (I could be
> > wrong, though ;-) I like to be PIC when I fly a simulator. I don't want to
> > sit outside my plane and watch me fly it. The cockpit panels we have now are
> > fine. The ground looks sooooo barren. Adding buildings, IMHO, would increase
> > the realism FAR more than adding aircraft models - which under normal
> > circumstances you won't even see, anyhow, I would think.
> >

> I must say I agree with you here.  I've never quite understood the
> desire for amazingly detailed aircraft models with moving parts and
> zillions of repaints.  However, a reasonable external model is quite
> useful IMHO so one can replay the landing and check the attitude and
> which gear touched down first!!  (OK, I know JSBSim can provide this
> information as output, but its so much easier just to watch.)

Different people want different things from a flight simulator.  You don't
*have* to understand their desires, only to accept that they are as valid as
your own.

FlightGear is a flight simulator.  A popular use for this is to recreate the
experience of sitting in a cockpit and flying an aircraft.  But that's not what
everyone wants to do (at least not exclusively).  The people who create
amazingly detailed aircraft models with moving parts and zillions of repaints
are probably the same people that built plastic airplane models as a kid.  To be
able to do the same in a flight simulator and then actually see them fly is a
great bonus, and its as valid a use for a flight simulator as any other.

Please don't think of FlightGear as just a cockit simulator - it's bigger than
that.  Its range of potential uses is probably wider that any other flight
simulator due to it being open source and being designed from the outset to
allow it to be developed to support a variety of uses.

Mally