Norman Vine writes:

 > Of course please feel free to consider this just another of my 'rants' on
 > 'the basic tenant of realtime programing'

I agree that we need to keep speed in our sights, but let's put this
in context.  Here's a little program that I just wrote:

  #include <iostream>

  int
  main ()
  {
    int x = 3;
    for (int i = 0; i < 1000000000; i++) {
      if ((x & 1) == 0)
        ;
    }
  }

This runs 1 billion conditional tests.  Actually it runs 2 billion
because of the conditional test in the loop, and it also increments
the i variable 1 billion times and performs a bitwise AND 1 billion
times.  Here are the results of an execution run:

  david@notebook:/tmp$ time ./conditionaltest

  real  0m2.308s
  user  0m2.240s
  sys   0m0.040s

That's 2.24 seconds user execution time for all four operations 1
billion times on my little notebook.  A computer with video card
running at 100 frames per second would have time for a little over 4
million of these tests between each frame; I doubt that we'll have
more than a few dozen property accesses per frame.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson