On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 08:24:14PM -0600, Curtis L. Olson wrote:

> the moon is using a blend mode other than the default blend mode
> so that we can blend it into the gradient sky.

Thanks, that was exactly the information I needed to get me
started.

In my first try I changed the call to glBlendFunc():

In SimGear-0.0.17pre2/simgear/src/sky/moon.cxx: sgMoonOrbPreDraw()

 - line 55: glBlendFunc ( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE ) ;
 + line 55: glBlendFunc ( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA ) ;

That worked, but made the moon look ugly. I could have been
satisfied at this point and take the ugly moon for granted.
However, on a hunch, I changed line 55 back and in
sgMoonOrbPostDraw() uncommented line 65:

 - line 65: // glBlendFunc ( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA ) ;
 + line 65: glBlendFunc ( GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA ) ;

That works, _and_ produces a nice moon. So it appears that the
problem lies not with the blend function itself, but in the way
it is (not) handled by glPushAttrib()/glPopAttrib().

Does anyone object to leaving line 65 uncommented for now? Any
leads for a more permanent solution?

> Yes, I wish there was more choice in the 3d graphics world.  You could
> always try an ATI card.

I'd love to. Please send plenty of money. :)

> I personally have very few complaints about my nvidia card.

If it works, it works. As long as it is supported. Not a problem
if you have enough financial room for regular upgrades, and don't
care what happens to your old cards.

And that's all I'm going to say about it on-list.

- --
Regards,                                                        ()
=Martin=               ASCII Ribbon Campaign Against HTML Mail  /\

PGP:  FE87448B  DDF8 677C 9244 D119 4FE0  AE3A 37CF 3458 FE87 448B