[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

 > When you say "weather/environment management system" what do you mean?
 > Do you mean something that includes the following?
 >
 > 1. weather data retrieval mechanism

Yes.  I'm starting with the front-end (the interface between
FlightGear and the rest of the environment code) and working
backwards.  FGEnvironment holds the weather information for a specific
place and time; I'll also add an FGEnvironmentManager to look up the
information for other arbitrary places and times (i.e. the ATIS
station tuned in on COM1, or the left wingtip).

 > 2. conversion from raw form to a source independent format stored
 > either in memory, or a persistent format

Yes, if you mean METAR parsing and the like.  I'll probably isolate
that behind a generic interface, so that we can use different kinds of
information providers.  It will be in the Environment/ subdirectory,
but will really be a separate package behind the same front-end.

 > 3. logical analysis of the code to isolate relevant data

I'm not sure what you mean by "code" here.  If you mean interpolation
among weather station data points, then yes, I'll have to support
that.

 > 4. code to render the visible aspects of the weather

No, that will be entirely separate.  Right now there's a tiny bit of
rendering code in FGEnvironment, left over from the old FGWeather
class, but I want to remove that completely.

 > If so, that's cool, but to me it seems like this is sort of slicing
 > the pie the wrong way.  I would hate to think that any alternate
 > "weather/environment management system would have to duplicate
 > functionality across so many layers of code.  It just seems to me
 > that it would make sense to isolate the steps so that each one
 > could be replaced individually.

Yes, I agree.  I'm not touching rendering at all, and I'm going to be
careful to keep the rest nicely segmented.

 > Also, are there any goals regarding weather in FG?  If someone were to
 > rewrite the weather subsystem, would it be more appropriate to simply
 > do another system like what we have or would it be more appropriate to
 > plan for the day when we move beyond flat plane cloud layers?

I'm following the build-for-today rule from Extreme Programming: I'll
add support for (say) volumetric clouds when we can render volumetric
clouds.  We *can* render cloud layers today, so I will add support
for that.

 > It seems that the current FG weather system is a lot like
 > X-Plane's.  With the exception of ATIS reading the string
 > appropriate for its location, the weather for the entire world is
 > identical to the weather at the aircraft's current location.

I think that everyone agrees that we want different weather at
different locations.  FGEnvironment will deal only with the data
issues, not with the rendering issues (i.e. it's an open question
whether you'll be able to *see* the different weather).

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson