Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > However, it's more complicated with cloud layers.  In the case were a
 > cloud layer disappears, or is added or changes types, we probably want
 > to do some sort of slow blending over time to make the transition less
 > apparent.  Somewhere we need to track the 'current' values, the target
 > values, and where we are in the transition.

I'll naively suggest that that might be easy to manage: keep an
FGEnvironment object for the current location, and (say) eight more in
a circle around the current location with a certain horizontal offset
(such as 10km), then interpolate.  That makes the whole thing
relatively stateless, if it can work.

All the best,

David

--