Jim Wilson wrote:
 > Yes agreed.  And probably with a 747-400 it is only those longer
 > flights like London-Vancouver that get filled to the brim with fuel.
 >
 > Andy, is the aircraft otherwise considered filled to capacity
 > (passenger/cargo) in the fdm?

Um... I'm not sure.  :)

The configured empty weight is 400k lbs, but I didn't record where I
got that number.  I'd assume that this is really the empty weight, not
including payload.  YASim has a <weight> tag that can be used to
provide software control over payload via the properties system, which
would obviously be the right way to do this.  I guess I'll assume that
I did the right thing...

The issue of flat-rating the engines has been nagging me, too.  I
strongly suspect this is at least part of the effect; does anyone have
numbers that would support this?  Implementing this would be really
easy; analagous to the way the turbocharger waste gate gets handled in
the piston engine model.  It would also be a spiffy way of handling
the supersonic over-speed behavior the engine model has at high speeds
(the mach compression of the intake air is modelled, but the losses
due to intake geometry are not).

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA