I would be able to clean up a *lot* of code if I could jettison
support for the old 'ascii' scenery format.  None of the scenery on
the ftp server is in the old ascii format.  It consumes more space to
represent the same geometry, file loading is slower, it hasn't been
updated to support newer features of flightgear (nor do I want to do
this.)  The code to support this format is messy, and continuing to
support it is messy, and we could clean up a lot of this by just
dropping support for the ascii format

Is anyone still using this ancient file format?  Does anyone have any
objections to ending support in flightgear for it?

Thanks,