One thing to remember, once you leave the ASCII format, the platform's
byte order becomes important.  When you start storing data in binary
format, you might want to use network format so the standard hton*()
routines can be used.  This probably seems obvious, but most of the
network code I have seen assumes that all platforms share the same byte
order (usually little-endian).

Jonathan Polley