> On Behalf Of Jim Wilson
> Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 7:38 PM

> Oh yes, in fact I'm interested in the same promised release. We used
formerly
> watcom's powerbuilder where I work for some billing and accounting stuff
and
> it is great.  We've got one power user/self taught programmer that does
all
> kinds of report and utility programs with it.  It is great for that kind
of
> thing and the applications are solid if planned well. But some of the
worst
> overbudget/neverflew horror stories of the 90's were associated with
> powerbuilder...like any RAD (or language for that matter) it can be done
right
> and wrong.  Hence my acronym RAG...being rapid you can create a huge mess
> really fast :-).

Yeah, that's true. You can do so much with a good, sharp-bladed circular
saw, but if you don't know what you are doing, you can cut off your fingers
or take out a load-bearing support. :-o

> Anyway, if the c++/kylix tool looks good we'll probably look
> at rewriting our powerbuilder front ends in it.

It's funny that this came up when it did, as the latest issue of C/C++
User's Journal (the subscription issue, anyhow) came with a demo of
C++Builder 6.0 Enterprise. Good marketing idea. I'll be trying it out, but
I'd be buying the Professional version.

Some things I like about it are the editor and the class browser, so I use
it with non-VCL projects sometimes, too.

Jon