I've been experimenting with a simple tree model in FlightGear.
Here's the result:

  http://www.megginson.com/flightsim/tree.png

The tree consists of a 32x64 RGBA texture mapped onto three sets of
back-to-back rectangles at 120-degree angles to each other.  From any
given viewing angle (other than directly overhead) it looks
more-or-less 3D, but there are two problems:

1. I need to clean up the edges of the texture to avoid artifacts.

2. While other scenery shows through the alpha parts of the texture,
   the sky often doesn't, as you can see in the above screenshot (note
   how you can see the grass and river near the bottom of the trunk, but
   not the sky near the crown).

I suspect that the sky problem has something to do with drawing order,
clip planes, or a combination of the above.  We may need to draw the
sky before the scenery so that it will show through transparent parts.

Any hints?  This model is light-weight enough that we could build
fairly large groves, at least near airports.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.megginson.com/