Andy Ross wrote:
> David Megginson wrote:
>
>>Jim Wilson writes:

>>>Hmmm...that seems a bit extreme.  The model as a whole is a lot
>>>more complex.
>>
>>It may be the textures -- on cards without lots of texture memory and
>>AGP, big textures can make things grind to a halt very quickly.
>
> I think he's on an SGI O2, though, which don't have this issue.  The
> O2's have a "Unified Memory Architecture" with everything (main
> memory, framebuffer, texture...) on the same memory bus.  They
> therefore can't get into a texture thrashing mode.  It's funny, when

Correct, I can have up to 192 Mb of textures at the moment (either one
texture of 192 Mb, or multiple textures with a total size of 192 Mb).

> SGI did this in 1996 it was a huge advance.  When intel tried it with
> the i810 a few years later it was a junky low-cost part that no one
> wanted. :)

Hmm, Maybe it's just the way they do it which makes the difference (the
O2 needs 10ns memory in banks of two (64-bit total), while the i810 had
to use slower memory with a 32-bit data path. And the crossbar of the O2
can handle multiple requests from multiple sources at the same time!

Erik