Norman Vine wrote:
> I think that you will find that inorder to get 'high quality' fonts
> one needs to use a vector based font directly.  The only problem in
> doing this is that the polygon count goes up considerably.

Have you tried the antialiased fonts in KDE, WinXP or recent versions
of Gtk+?  They look *fantastic*, and are generated with exactly the
method I propose -- a very high resolution bitmap is generated and
then downsampled into a grayscale image that is alpha composited onto
the screen.  The plib TXF loader already does the second part, there
simply aren't any tools to do the rendering and downsampling.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA