David Megginson wrote:

> I agree that Scheme will turn a lot of people off, but I'm annoyed
> that we cannot find a core ECMAScript implementation the same size
> (even then, the core source code for this is over 200K).

A quick google showed:

http://ixlib.sourceforge.net/

All of it is ~ 360 kb.
If you look at it's features we might be able to strip it down
significantly.

CU,
Christian

1. What is ixlib?

ixlib is a small c++ tools library based upon the standard template
library.  It provides

* a javascript interpreter (subset of ECMAscript 4, strict mode)
  [ixlib_javascript.hh]
* an exception handling framework [ixlib_exbase.hh]
* garbage collection [ixlib_garbage.hh]
* automatic array management [ixlib_array.hh]
* planar geometry (rectangles, regions) [ixlib_geometry.hh]
  polygons (rasterization, convex hull, smoothing, removal of crossings)
  [ixlib_polygon.hh]
* rasterization [ixlib_drawing_functions.hh]
* matrices (including linear system solver, Cholesky and LU
decomposition,
  determinants, inversion, Gauss and Gauss-Jordan elimination)
  [ixlib_matrix.hh]
* command line parsing [ixlib_cmdline.hh]
* versatile int <-> string conversions [ixlib_numconv.hh]
* regular expressions [ixlib_re.hh]
* XML parsing (non-DTD) [ixlib_xml.hh]

Some of the guidelines I tried to follow are:

* use a separate namespace "ixion"
* try to be STL-look-alike
* no unnecessary dependencies: you pay only for those parts that you use
  (pay means: use disk space, take execution time)
* no unnecessary dependencies 2: The library doesn't do any i/o by
itself,
  except if given a stream to explicitly do so. Besides flex and the
STL,
  there are no other dependencies.
* do not use abbreviations
* conform to standards (XML, ECMAscript)
* do not duplicate or mimic STL functionality (e.g. no separate
  string class), that is be strictly an STL-add-on
* provide a complete internationalization framework for localized
  texts and error messages

Furthermore, every component of ixlib has been thoroughly tested and
is considered production-quality code.

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague