On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 15:50, Christian Mayer wrote:
> Tony Peden wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 11:40, David Megginson wrote:
> > > Tony Peden writes:
> > >
> > >  > > I don't know how many interdependencies there are, but the js related
> > >  > > source and headers total 142k.
> > >  >
> > >  > Check that, 212k.
> > >
> > > That's pretty close.  I wonder how bad the dependencies are.
> >
> > OK, I've gotten the compressed and uncompressed numbers confused.  The
> > two numbers I quoted above are uncompressed.  The original 360k posted
> > was for the whole library and was compressed.
> >
> > I've isolated all the headers and source required to get the js
> > interpreter to compile and link.  The resulting executable works,
> > but all it does is instantiate the interpreter then delete it.  At any
> > rate, I ended up with 388k of uncompressed source.  This compresses to
> > 56k with tar and gzip.
>
> That sounds OK for inclusion for me.
>
> > Note that du gives 17M for the FG source tree and 4.9M for the Simgear
> > source tree after running 'make distclean' on both.  Both numbers are,
> > obviously, uncompressed.
>
> Compared to what size w/o JavaScript?

Those numbers are as FG stands today, w/o js.

> > One more thing I should point out, the author's caveat list:
> >
> > I haven't any idea how much of a loss these represent.  I will say,
> > however, that the author seems to *really* like namespaces...
>
> I dunno how much we have to / want to integrate the JS into FGFS. If
> it's sort of independat, just with the additional functions to use the
> property tree we don't need to care too much about its problems
> (whichever it has, apart from bugs/core dumps/...)
>
> Oh, and the namespaces don't hurt us... ;)

Didn't mean to imply otherwise.  However, they can, just like anything
else, be abused.  I'm not so sure this guy hasn't crossed that line.

> What I don't know is how portable it is. I.e. on which compilers it does
> compile and work. (I have no reason to be suspicious, but it's a
> question that has to be asked)

Agreed.

> CU,
> Christian
>

> --
> The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague

Tony Peden
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
We all know Linux is great ... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
-- attributed to Linus Torvalds