Gene Buckle writes:
> > > <humor>
> > > Next time, look to your left and a little bit up and to the rear.  If
> > > there's a big honkin' chunk of metal blocking your view, check the flap
> > > switch. *huge grin*
> > > </humor>
> >
> > The other one I've learned from real experience (as a passenger).  If
> > while you are looking a little up and to the rear to check flap
> > status, if you also notice a big plume of something that looks a lot
> > like smoke coming off one or both wings, land and check your fuel tank
> > covers.  (And extinguish your cigarettes.)  :-)
>
> Ye gods.  That's why you pre-flight _after_ you've fueled up.  Gas it,
> park it and then check it _all_.  I'm amazed you made it back.  It doesn't
> take long to suck those wing tanks dry.

That was when I was young and stupid.  The pilot fueled back up,
screwed on the fuel caps, and off we went again.  I should have used
that opportunity to exit the plane, but was too excited about the rare
chance to go flying ... it was a wild ride though ... we flew up to
northern AZ and were buzzing some poor rancher's cattle, or would that
be "some rancher's poor cattle."  Anyway we were occasionally pretty
close to 90 degree bank about 50' above the ground.

In retrospect, yes, lucky to have made it back from both flights that
day.  That was the last time I went flying with that particular pilot.

These days I give all my potential pilots a check ride in flightgear
first before I'll go flying with them. :-)