Moved from flightgear-users

David Megginson writes

> Mark Fisher writes:
>
>  > Again, I'm looking for the location of the dictionary of permissible
>  > properties that can be set using the .XML joystick files, and their
>  > permissible value ranges.
>
> Take a look at the property browser inside FlightGear -- it will show
> you what properties are actually being used in the situation and
> aircraft you're flying.
>
>  > Copying existing code lines is great for repeating what has already
>  > been done, but it does not show what CAN be done.
>  >
>  > I apologise if this is a dumb question. Most programming languages
>  > have some sort of dictionary or thesaurus of permissible terms, and
>  > I was hoping that there was such a thing lurking somewhere for
>  > flightgear.
>
> It's not a fixed list, because designers of 3D models, panels, flight
> models, etc. can (and do) create new ones at runtime.  For example,
> there is a property to open and close the door of the Piper Cub, but
> that property does not exist anywhere in the C++ code.  Think of
> properties like environment variables: I can give you a list of the 20
> or 30 most common environment variables you might use on a Linux
> system, but I cannot give you a list of all of them because I don't
> know what environment variables your programs might happen to use.

But there are many "Fixed Lists" of  properties for example

PitotSystem::init ()
{
    _serviceable_node = fgGetNode("/systems/pitot[0]/serviceable", true);
    _pressure_node = fgGetNode("/environment/pressure-inhg", true);
    _density_node = fgGetNode("/environment/density-slugft3", true);
    _velocity_node = fgGetNode("/velocities/uBody-fps", true);
    _total_pressure_node =
        fgGetNode("/systems/pitot[0]/total-pressure-inhg", true);
}

and I can't add to this list without creating another 'C' variable
This is esp true for 'things' like the 'Enviroment Nodes' in fact
MOST  "permissable terms"  DO have an instantiation in the C++
code though often disguised as a fgGetNode() call.

We should have documentation as to what these HARD CODED terms
are.   Using the 'property browser' is a great way to inspect a running
instance of FGFS but is a poor excuse for the 'Official Documentation'
of the 'properties'

I have done some experimentation but have yet to come up with a
'good' method of documenting these hard-coded properties.

Using the raw XML files does not work for me and I have not found a
'doxygen like' tool to transform them into something my eyes can follow

Regards

Norman