Erik Hofman wrote:
> To be honnest, I don't think anyone would even notice if the Boeing
> were tail scraping over the runway. For example, it is very comon for
> F-16 to hit the runway with their ventral fins on startup or
> touchdown. This is usually only noticed afterwards by the groud crew.

True enough.  But certainly some "airframe touch" situations are
easily noticeable.  Hauling back on the yoke of a 747 at 100 knots
during a takeoff roll is guaranteed to be noticed, for example. :)

I think, on the whole, a "scraping" sound would add more to the
simulation experience than it takes away.  Right now, it's very much
non-obvious to the user when they've clipped a wing tip or tail.  I
think there's a training benefit to the sound, even at the expense of
pure realism.

> On a side note, it would be nice to make a distinction between
> locations that would crash the aircraft (nose, wing tips) and part
> that just cause the aircraft to clip to the ground (belly, ventral
> fins).

This is already done, in a sense.  A "crash" is something that's able
to force a gear or contact point through the ground plane.  If this
doesn't happen, then the contact was light enough not to bend the
airframe (for some only vaguely plausible definition of "bend", of
course).

There's really nothing special about the nose, for example.  Light
contact to the nose isn't going to kill the aircraft.  The only reason
it looks special is that, aerodynamically, you can't put the aircraft
into a situation where a nose touch is "light". :)

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA