On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:01:51 -0600, Michael Selig
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At 11/11/02, you wrote:
>>I read somewhere that the aircraft was very sensitive to cross winds and
>>would weather vane on the mearest whisper of such.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Charlie H.
>
>That's true, and most of the WWI aircraft suffered from this type of
>problem.  Most WWI airfields were circular or square so that pilots could
>always take off into the wind to avoid the cross wind problem.

Basically a WWII Fighter is an (underpowered) Ultra/Microlight

The other great problem they had was loss of fabric or entire
surfaces at high speed, especially in manoeuvre. The Dr. 1 was
apparently very prone to loosing a wing when pulling out of a
dive - something that was a rare event on the very similar[1]
Sopwith Triplane.

They were _very_ maneuverable though. Allegedly you could do a
180+ turn of under 50ft diameter (with great loss of 'energy')
in most.

Any chance of an SE5a[2]?  The great, often ignored, usually
severely underestimated, competitor to the Camel was designed
and, initially, built at the Royal Aircraft Factory,
Farnborough, on a site a short walk from my office.

And when the 'Flyer' is finished, how about 'Army Aeroplane
No.1'? Designed, built and flown by American born Mr Samuel F
Cody it made the first sustained powered flight in Britain on
16th October 1908 at the same location.

These people will have the details...
http://www.fasta.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm

Rick

[1] Its alleged that the Dr.1 was in fact a re-engineered Tripe,
based on a crashed example. The greatest change was the doubling
of the armament from 1 to 2 MG.

--

David Farrent and Dougie O'Hara on the Cold War
role of the ROC: 'What a world of sorrow is hidden