David Luff writes:
> Well, it mostly worked.  After starting in an area with no scenery, it took
> a couple of minutes waiting before the appropriate airport came down, and
> FlightGear could be restarted properly.  Flying the C172, terrasync mostly
> kept up, but in both my tests (one in the bay area, one in the relatively
> sparser UK) managed to miss one tile.  I may be mistaken, but it appears to
> download a whole 1x1 degree area at once in alphabetical order, and there
> were times when nothing was coming down, so I think that if the order of
> the tile download within a 1x1 chunk was optimised to get the closest
> first, and if downloading was continued almost continuously based on
> position and heading, then I'm quite sure it could be made to keep up no
> problem.

Yes, by downloading 1x1 degree chunks with rsync I save myself a *lot*
of trouble and don't need to parse individual .stg files which could
refer to separate models which could refer to separate textures which
would be a major pain to parse through all that and figure out the
specific files that are needed (especially considering the variety of
3d model formats we support.)  Much easier to just pull the whole
subdirectory.  You are right that this isn't as efficient as it could
be, and there are times where no downloading is going on, but like I
said, this was a one evening project and I don't intend to make it my
life's work. :-) And it has kind of a nice clean simplicity and small
sizethat would be a shame to disrupt. :-)

Regards,