Curtis L. Olson writes:

 > Too bad they make you turn your gps off during the last few minutes
 > of the flight.  My little hand held garmin can pick up enough
 > satellites to get a position if I hold it right up to the window of
 > the aircaft.  I was pretty amazed that it actually worked when I
 > tried it on my last flight.  Next time I'll have to find a laptop
 > and plug it into the serial port and watch where I am with
 > "Atlas". :-)

I flew commercially from Ottawa to Toronto/Buttonville last November
in a Pilatus PC-12.  I was in the front row, and I was following the
IFR flight plan I'd memorized from the panel GPS display before the
cockpit curtain was closed.  My handheld Magellan 315 GPS with a
customized aviation database (from DAFIF) is very small (about the
size of a cell phone), and I didn't have it out until we were
airbourne.  The pilot must have noticed, however, because in the
middle of the flight he opened the curtain, turned back, and asked me
if I could get him a groundspeed reading (perhaps he wanted to confirm
the display on his panel-mounted GPS).

All the best,

David

--