David Megginson wrote:

> Curtis L. Olson writes:
>
>  > Too bad they make you turn your gps off during the last few minutes
>  > of the flight.  My little hand held garmin can pick up enough
>  > satellites to get a position if I hold it right up to the window of
>  > the aircaft.  I was pretty amazed that it actually worked when I
>  > tried it on my last flight.  Next time I'll have to find a laptop
>  > and plug it into the serial port and watch where I am with
>  > "Atlas". :-)
>
> I flew commercially from Ottawa to Toronto/Buttonville last November
> in a Pilatus PC-12.  I was in the front row, and I was following the
> IFR flight plan I'd memorized from the panel GPS display before the
> cockpit curtain was closed.  My handheld Magellan 315 GPS with a
> customized aviation database (from DAFIF) is very small (about the
> size of a cell phone), and I didn't have it out until we were
> airbourne.  The pilot must have noticed, however, because in the
> middle of the flight he opened the curtain, turned back, and asked me
> if I could get him a groundspeed reading (perhaps he wanted to confirm
> the display on his panel-mounted GPS).

Sounds like a very reliable plane and/or company when the pilot has to
ask an "ordinary" passenger for his ground speed...
What would he do if no passenger had a GPS? Fly more carefully as he
doesn't know how reliable his data is?

CU,
Christian

--
The idea is to die young as late as possible.        -- Ashley Montague